Monday, November 26, 2007

Mountains Beyond Mountains - Tracy Kidder

Tracy Kidder was a reporter. I don't know what he used to write. I really don't care. One day he met Paul Farmer and started a project trying to pin down the essence of Paul. For those of you who have never heard of Paul Farmer he is a super star in the world of humanitarian aid. Jason tells me that in his classes when they talk about aid work they will often say, "You can't be Paul Farmer." Here is why. Paul Farmer is incredible. As a young man he went to Haiti to decide if he wanted to be an anthropologist or a doctor. The poverty and health crisis he saw there became his life mission. While still in medical school he began spending massive amounts of time running a clinic in Haiti. His professors excused his many absences because of his excellent grades. By the time he graduated from Harvard Medical School he had been working as an MD for six years and had more experience than most stateside doctors. He then moved to Haiti and began working full time in a hospital he raised the money for and had built in Cange. He took on the problems of TB and AIDS and his studies and treatment programs have changed the way treatment programs are run all over the world. Kidder talks with his family, his friends, his colleagues, and Paul himself. He follows his life for years visiting with him in Haiti in the most humble of circumstances and going to conferences with him where he is a keynote and being honored. Kidder takes everything and puts it out there for you.

On the Four Star Scale

Sap Factor (***) - I don't know how to explain this book. What Paul Farmer does is incredible. The people he works with are some of the most destitute in the world. Their country is in shambles, their health care system non-existent, poverty rampant, but they have Paul Farmer on their side. It is heart warming but rough.

Naughty Bits (**) - Cursing

Readability (***) - 336 pages. This story is excellent, well written.

Final notes - I really struggled with this book. What normally would have taken just a couple of days took me a week. I would read and think, and think, and think, and then read again. I always felt a little off kilter. First and foremost it challenged some of the deeply held ideas I had about humanitarian work and resources management, but I guess that is sort of Paul's point. Paul Farmer challenged the WHO and those "who knew" about TB. He ran/runs his clinic differently than any other place on earth. Where other people talk about appropriate technology and getting the most for your dollar Paul takes on all challenges and spends on all patients. It seems reckless but Paul and his group have made huge changes in drug availability and cost because they were willing to challenge the status quo and the established research. Paul Farmer's story also challenged me personally. At moments I thought, "I'm not doing enough. I should be doing more." Then there were other times when I thought, "How can he do this. I can't do this. I'm no Paul Farmer." It was difficult. In the end of my life I don't know what I'll have done and what I will have to look back on but I do know for sure I won't be Paul Farmer. I just hope I'll be able to say I tried a little bit more.

No comments: