Monday, November 12, 2007

Giving - Bill Clinton

I really enjoyed this book but I think that is mainly because I was in the right frame of mind for it. Earlier in the week we watched a 20/20 special about Camden, New Jersey and I had gone to bed thinking, "What can I do? How can I help the world? " The next morning I picked this book up. I was inspired. Not by the book itself but by what I think I can do with it.

On the Four Star Scale

Sap Factor ( ) - You would think a book about giving would be a tear jerker but this one isn't. Instead I saw it as a doorway to give me ideas for books, websites, causes, and crusades I never would have heard about otherwise.

Naughty Bits () - It is Bill Clinton. My mom said, "What does he know about giving." Oh my. Jason said, "Has she been listening to Rush?"

Readability (**) - A tad dry but at 256 pages, each packed with a new website or book to look at it is quick read.

Final notes - Like I said I saw this book as a doorway or a guide to introduce me to projects I need to/want to know more about. The possibilities about service it opened up to me made it worth it. Three of my favorite projects mentioned were:
Kiva a site where you can become a lender or part lender for micro loans around the globe. Once your money is paid back you have the option to re-lend or to take it back.
Heifer International a group that gives farm animal and teaches sustainable farming. One of the requirements of the gift is that you pass on the first offspring of your animal to another person so that the gift keeps on giving.
America's Second Harvest (Backpack Club) an opportunity to help keep kids feed on the weekends. Many children suffer on the weekends when they don't get free lunch/breakfast. The backpack club gives them a few essentials each weekend so that they can make it through the lean times.

I also absolutely must get my hands on some information about Paul Farmer, a doctor who is doing amazing things building health care initiatives that work in developing countries.

No comments: