Monday, November 26, 2007

A Complaint Free World - Will Bowen

I'm not really into self help books, except perhaps diet books, which explains one of my next reads. Really, really. Unfortunately I'm big time into complaining. Say it isn't so. Well it is and I'm really not a fan. This book is written by a pastor that decided to start a book group for his parishioners. On a whim he also started a social experiment to see is he and they could stop complaining and how their lives would change if they did such. In order to facilitate the experiment he bought 500 hundred wrist bands. Each person who wanted to participate got one. Each time they complained or gossiped they would move the wrist band from one wrist to the other. In that way they were able to become more self aware. Then after they had gone 21 days without having to move the band they took it off. Many people failed, in fact it took the pastor months to complete the task, but what follows are his experiences and those of his parishioners and why it was worth it to them. Honestly I don't know if I can do it. I mean half of my blogs are built on complaining but I don't think it would hurt me one bit to become a little more self aware so I ordered 3 bracelets for free. The experiment could be done with a rubber band or penny as well.

On the Four Star Scale

Sap Factor (*) - Personal stories...ick!

Naughty Bits () - Nada nada lemondada.

Readability (***) - 192 pages but supper small. Pocket size.

Final notes - Hey I think it is an interesting experiment. I don't know if I'll make it or not but it would be nice to curb it a bit :)

1 comment:

Crys said...

It now looks like there are too many people requesting them. Now you can get two bracelets for 75 cents in shipping charges. Bummer I didn't get this up sooner :)