Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Friday Night Knitting Club-Kate Jacobs

Who doesn't wish that they had a few domestic skills? I know I certainly do. I remember searching for a sewing machine feeling like that ability to create would fill some type of need I had. It did. Creation is it's own reward. The women in this book would agree. In this first novel by Kate Jacobs, the author explores a knitting club in New York City and the lives of its diverse members. She tackles the themes of family, the love and the the hurt involved there. She looks at relationships, those that work, those that don't, and the healing needed for both. Womanhood is a central theme as well as motherhood, and the need to finds ones' own self, fulfillment, and worth. There are plenty of moments to laugh and a few to cry.

On the Four Star Scale

Sap Factor (***) - Discovering one's roots, mother-daughter time, health issues, loving and loss. There is plenty of emotion to go around.

Naughty Bits (**) - Seventy year-olds going to the gynecologist and some references to sexual relationships. Some language.

Readability (****) - Isn't going to take all week. 352 nice smooth pages. Written in multiple views but still flows easily.

Final notes- In the end I wanted to pick up some needles. I won't because how many new hobbies can you pick a year but Jacobs made knitting seem exciting and made me want to stretch myself a little further.

No comments: