Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fifefly Lane - Kristin Hannah

Tully Hart and Kate Mularkey make an unlikely pair. In junior high when they meat Tully is a worldly well dressed daughter of a doped up hippie. Kate is a lonely catholic girl from a good family who lost her best friends when she decided she didn't want to bend to peer pressure. Everyone wants to be Tully's friend. Kate is all alone. Each girl feels alone. One night Tully is invited to a high school party with the captain of the football team. Her doped up mother has no objections and she finds herself the victim of a date rape. Abandoned in the woods she finds her way home only to have no one to talk to. By chance she runs into Katie who has snuck out to spend time with her horse. The two become fast friends and this book follows them through a lifetime of friendship.

On the Five Star Scale *****

Naughty Bits (****) - So there is a rape in this story, some potty words, and some "relationships".

Readability (****) - 496 pages but really a fast read. I couldn't put it down.

Sap Factor (*****) - I think I cried through the entire last third of the book. I had just had a miscarriage and the hormones were going wild but the subject matter was pretty intense so I think that most people would find themselves in a similar sappy situation.

Final notes (*****) -I loved this book. Maybe it was the timing, but I just really invested in the characters. Kate is the girl I always saw myself as. Sometimes it is hard to have a friend like Tully. You are always unsure of where you stand in the world. I related to that aspect of the story. I also found the mother daughter relationships to be especially poignant. Not recommend if you can't handle a little romance. Previously Hannah mostly stuck to that genre.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I'm so sorry you had a miscarriage. When did that happen? Did I miss hearing about it somehow. I hope you're feeling better. And I'm glad you have your book blog up again because I'm running out of ideas.