Monday, December 24, 2007

Whitethorn Woods - Maeve Binchy

This was my favorite book of winter vacation. Maeve tells the story of the citizens of Rossmore a small Irish town that hears that a major highway project is planned to bypass the town going through St. Anne's Well. A local holy shrine where locals and tourist alike go to pray for intercession for marriage, babies, or new jobs. The tale is told through the eyes of many of the town residents and often different characters are used to give an more complete picture of the different families of the area.

On the Four Star Scale

Sap Factor (*) - Maeve's main tool is humor but some of the stories are tragic.

Naughty Bits (**) - There may be a few potty words although sitting here today I can't be sure on that. Also a crazy lady kills her lovers new lover off only to be thrown in jail and her mother take up with him.

Readability (****) - 352pages. A put down other books to read this one and get it finished in two afternoons

Final notes (****) - The stories in here made me laugh and I was always bugging Jason to share them like they were actual stories of real people. I'm a weirdo but I liked it a lot.

No comments: