Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Here If You Need Me - Kate Braestrup

This book is odd. Kate Braestrup was married to a highway patrol who died in a tragic car accident. With four children at home she knew she had to pull herself together but the task seemed insurmountable. To just get herself moving she enrolled in seminary to become a utilitarian minister a job her husband hoped to do after he retired from the police force. After graduation she began working as a Chaplin for the game wardens in Maine. She's the one they call out when children are missing to comfort families. She's the only who give death notices on hunters that have gone missing. She's the one who comforts the wardens when they are broken up about young women who go to the woods to kill themselves.

On the Four Star Scale

Sap Factor (**) - There are some sad stories here. I don't know what I would do if I lost my husband. I don't know how I would help my kids. I also don't know how I would deal if one of my children was to get lost in the woods.

Naughty Bits (*) - Kate is little different.

Readability (**)* - 224 pages. A nice quick read.

Final notes (*) - The book isn't necessarily bad and it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Kate Kraestrup is a minister who tells her seminary teacher that she is religious but not spiritual. But that just doesn't make sense to me. She believes that God is all around us, in the good things that we do for each other. Maybe there is a supreme being maybe not. There might be an afterlife, but there probably isn't. It was just weird for me. Maybe someone else we get the point better.

1 comment:

Marshes said...

The Reverend Braestrup is a Unitarian minister (with a capital 'U') - NOT a utilitarian minister. Please look it up.