Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Steve and Me - Terri Irwin

I picked this book up because I happen to think the crocodile episodes are outrageously funny. Steve Irwin had quite a presence and his death was so heartbreaking I wondered how his family could possibly be coping. It isn't the type of book that I feel comfortable judging. There were a couple of places that repeated themselves a bit but truth be told this book gave me goosebumps. Terri talks about how she and Steve met, what type of man he was, what their life was like together, and how she and the children are dealing with his death. First off let me just say the man was crazy about animals and did some crazy things to have access to them. Secondly his wife was crazy about him. Reading their story you realize there really was no one else for Steve and no one else for Terri. On the other side of the word Terri found her other half and now he's gone. Third this is about heart break. There is a point where she talks about how every second she's like, "well I made it through another second without Steve," and when you read that you feel how deeply that cuts for her to have to make it through another second without him. Also when she talks about her son Robert and how he is walking around like a little lost puppy, crying in the tub, waiting for his dad to come home from heaven, well that just cuts as well. It isn't all sadness. The way they met and the story of their first date is hilarious. My DH and I will probably being saying, "Well you're not a lady at all," for the rest of our lives, but this is the kind of story that makes you want to give your hubby an extra hug at night and pull your kids in close for an extra hug, for yourself and for Terri as well.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi Crys! I was enjoying looking over the books you have been reading, and noticed you have a link to the site One Book Two Book - how did you hear about that one? My sister-in-law started it up (Bonnie Parks). What a small world it is! Thanks for inviting me to your blog, it's great to hear about your family!

Nancy said...

Wow! That is hilarious! Bonnie is in my ward and I lived in Jordan with Crystal for a while.

Crazy!